Roofing Frequently Asked Questions
Question: What are some common signs that a roof requires repair or replacement
Answer: At Layton Roofers, we always recommend that our customers across Utah pay close, consistent attention to the condition of their roofing. All too often, homeowners neglect to notice clear signs of damage to their roofs. As a result, they’re often hit by more serious concerns down the line; many of which can necessitate a complete rooftop replacement, with all the extra expense that entails.
Specific symptoms to watch out for include;
- Cracked, warped or missing tiles and shingles.
- Wearing and tear on the flashing. Or lack of a proper water-tight seal around areas such as the chimney. This can lead to moisture buildup
- Sunlight seeping through the ceiling boards in your attic
- Visible cracks
- Obvious leakage
- Dark patches on your roof or attic ceiling
- Cracking or discoloration on your interior drywall.
Question: How Often Should I Inspect My Roof for these Issues?
Answer: To avoid issues like these, we always recommend twice-yearly inspections. One, before the heatwaves start to hit at the height of summer; and once before the heavy snowfall begins in winter.
At Layton Roofers our customers’ safety is our first priority, so if your roof is difficult to access or walk on; and you’re located in: Logan, Salt Lake City, Davis County or Layton, Utah; give us a call and we’ll take care of your rooftop inspection instead.
Question: How Long Does a Roof Usually Last?
Answer: At Layton Roofers, we use the highest quality materials in our roofing repairs, replacements and installations; so you’re likely to get longer than average life from any of our solutions. In general, shingle roofing generally lasts 20-35 years, metal roofs can last anywhere from 40-70 years and tile roofs generally last about the same, with proper maintenance. So if your roof is nearing the end of its lifespan you should pay closer to attention to any signs of damage.
Question: How Much Does a New Roof Cost?
Answer: The cost of a replacement roof depends greatly on the area, and pitch of your roofing solution. On average ranch style homes in Utah have roofs that can 15-20 squares which translates to $6000-$14,000 in shingle installation and labor.
Metal and usually require more skilled labor, and the materials themselves are more expensive to purchase. Steel and aluminum shingles fall at the affordable end of the spectrum, at around $265-375 per square; at the most expensive end of the scale is copper and zinc roofing at $700-$900 a square. Tile roofs too fall at the pricier end of the spectrum at around $700-$800 per square.
At Layton Roofers we make use of extensive connections in the industry, to get our customers the best possible prices on their roofing installations.
Question: What Should I Look for in a Roofing Contractor?
Answer: As an experienced, well-proven roofing contractor working across Salt Lake City, Layton, Davis County and Logan, Utah; Layton Roofers provides the following benefits:
- We’re licensed and certified to carry out roofing repairs and installations across Utah
- We use the highest quality materials
- We adhere to all building codes and regulations
- We’re insured
- We’re local to the Layton, Utah area so we can provide a long track record of satisfied customers. If you’ve got a problem our roofing technicians can be at your home to inspect it, as early as possible.
- We offer warranties against workmanship errors, and manufacturer defects as a further guarantee of the quality of our roofing repairs and installations.